Keeping Dancers Moving and Learning From Home
- Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater- Chroma, Grace, Takademe, Revelations
- Dance Theatre of Harlem: Virtual Ballet Series
- Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake- The Kirov Ballet
- Ballet Hispánico: Club Havana and Carmen
- Giselle- Royal Danish Ballet
- Available on Amazon if you have Amazon Prime-
- The Australian Ballet will be streaming productions for a ‘Digital Season’ for a limited time. Check out the schedule on their website.
- Online Ballet Performances From All Around the World!
- Cirque du Soleil– “At Cirque du Soleil, we offer an escape from everyday life through the delight and whimsy of our shows. Now more than ever, we want to do our little part to spread joy, even from afar, directly to your safe spaces. Let us welcome you into our world where awe-inspiring show footage and fan favorite videos will transport you.”
Dance Movies and TV Shows
- Available on Netflix
- “Center Stage”- Rated PG-13
- “Dance Academy”- Rated PG
- “The Nutcracker and the Four Realms”- Rated PG
- “Leap”- Rated PG
- Available on Hulu
- “Ballet 422”- Rated PG
- Ballet Evolved: How Ballet Class has Changed over the Centuries
- Ballet Evolved: The Evolution of Pointe Work
- Dance Theatre of Harlem: Arthur Mitchell Tribute
- Modern Dance | Vaughn Newman | TEDxGreenville
- Katherine Dunham on Overcoming 1940s Racism │Jacob’s Pillow Dance
- Rockettes: ‘All That Jazz’ Fosse Tribute
- The History of African American Social Dance
- Gregory Hines: Tap Dance in America
- Gregory Hines: Gene Kelly Tribute
For Our Littlest Movers
- Angelina Ballerina – 13 Episodes Available on Amazon with Prime membership
- Cosmic Kids Yoga Adventures– Seasons 1 and 2 Available on Amazon with Prime membership
- “Leap” on Netflix
- Michaela DePrince in motion at Women in the World
- Essential Viewing: “WE. DANCE.”, a Powerful Video by Ailey’s Dancers
- Black Ballerina Alison Stroming is Changing the Face of Ballet
- How Brown Girls Do Ballet Creates Safe Space for Black Ballerinas
- Diversity | Inside the Colorful World of a Ballerina
- Ballerina Misty Copeland on race and ballet
- Day in the Life of Isabella Boylston, Principal Dancer with American Ballet Theater.
- A Ballerina’s Entire Routine, From Waking up to Showtime.
- Ballerina’s Ultimate Footcare Routine.
- A to Z en Pointe And every other awesome video on The Australian Ballet’s YouTube Channel.
Listening to podcasts is a great activity while you are stretching!
- The Dance Edit
- “Posted every Thursday morning, it’s a 15-minute breakdown of all the news that’s moving and shaking the dance world, led by people who nerd out about dance for a living”
- Conversations on Dance
- “Weekly chats with the dance world’s best and brightest”
- The Whole Dancer
- “Earn new skills in self-care, healthy eating, cross training, spirituality, and goal setting”
- The Dance Docs
- “Answering your questions on all things dance medicine with insightful advice and cutting edge research from leading professionals”
- 8 Ballet TED talks
- From Misty Copeland on ‘the power of ballet’ to to the physics of fouettés, there is some great content here!
- Why Ballet is Brilliant
- A Choreographer’s Creative Process in Real Time
- Wayne McGregor demonstrates how a choreographer communicates ideas to an audience.
- Fighting Cancer with Dance
- “Renowned classical Indian dancer Ananda Shankar Jayant was diagnosed with cancer in 2008. She tells her personal story of not only facing the disease but dancing through it, and gives a performance revealing the metaphor of strength that helped her do it.”
- Dance Recovery Nutrition
- Tips for Dancers on Anxiety
- It’s Okay to Grieve: Coping with the emotional toll of canceled dance events
- The Dangers of Dancing on Dead Pointe Shoes
- College students used ballet to help students learn to read
- My Experience as a Black Ballerina in a World of Implicit Bias
- How to Support the Black Dance Community, Beyond Social Media
- Black Dancers, White Ballets
- ‘A Lot Is Still So Much the Same’: Misty Copeland on Decades of Racism and Ballet
- The History of African-American Casting in Ballet
- Barriers & Bias: What It’s Like for Immigrant Dance Artists
- ‘Dance is not a museum’: how ballet is reimagining problematic classics
- Behind Ballet’s Diversity Problem
- Arthur Mitchell talks Race and Balanchine
- She was the first woman of color in space, and dance helped her get there
While nothing can fully replace the experience of in-studio instruction, our goal is to supplement training during the closure with opportunities for continued education. We ask that dancers continue with EBA Zoom classes that are level appropriate to connect with their instructors and peers, receive corrections and encouragement, and continue to build their dance foundation. The following opportunities are meant to provide supplemental training and exploration.
- Kathryn Morgan (Soloist with Miami City Ballet) – Barre/Class/Strength/Stretching videos
- Megan Fairchild (Principal Dancer with NYCB)
- Alvin Ailey’s Revelations Workshop
- Learn pieces of this iconic Alvin Ailey choreography.
- Ailey Extension: Keep Dancing
- So many amazing classes here- african, hip hop, theater dance, salsa
- Steps on Broadway: Steps On-The-Go
- Blogilates – Pilates/HIIT workouts
Live classes occur at specific times, but are often available for 24 hrs after. IGTV are often available longer and can be found in the profile’s feed. There is clearly no shortage of amazing instruction available online. Below are a few of our favorites.
- @worldwide_ballet_class – Daily ballet classes via ZOOM (check their profile for Zoom Room #).
- @stepsyouthnyc– Pop-up Instagram Live events hosted by Steps on Broadway Youth program.
- @dancewearroyale – Daily Ballet classes, workouts, and interviews from home via IGTV.
- @tilerpeck– Tiler Peck, Principal Dancer at New York City Ballet teaches Live classes.
- @therealdebbieallen– Debbie Allen teaches Live classes and hosts other fantastic instructors. Classes for ages 3-adult.
- @gaynorminden – Daily Live ballet classes with Gaynor Minden artists and icons.
- @bdcnyc– Broadway Dance Center offers classes in variety of styles and levels. Please note that the classes require registration and a small payment.
- @ausballet– Artistic Director, David Mcallister, teaches short and simple, but effective, ballet exercises to do at home. Available via IGTV.
- @KaraDuvalPilates – Pilates and mat classes available throughout the week via Instagram Live.
- Word Search
- More coming soon!
Supplemental Dance Supplies
- Exercise Ball (Great for Florabelle’s Ball Exercise Ballet Class for Ballet 5 and 6 dancers)
- Mini Exercise Ball
- Theraband Resistance Bands (For intrinsic foot strengthening and more!)
- Portable, Freestanding Ballet Barre
- Portable Dance Floor
- Dancer Disc Portable Floor
- Balance Board
- Balance Ball “Bosu Ball”
- Turn Board
- Foot Massager Roller
- Foot Massage Ball
- Adjustable Leg Stretcher
- 7-in-1 Foot Gym
- Yoga Mat
- Extra-Thick Exercise Mat
- Yoga Block